Monday, September 13, 2010

Peppermint Mocha

I spend a lot of time sitting at a wonderful coffee shop called SteamDot. They have the best coffee I have ever tasted. I am sitting there right this second, drinking a peppermint mocha that kicks Starbucks butt. Since I have spent so much time here, I have had the chance to really spend time reading the bible and just thinking about my life.

When I step back and look at my life, I can’t believe how lucky I am. I am sitting in Anchorage, Alaska living on my own. I wouldn’t be sitting here without the love and support of my parents. It’s a really weird stage of your life right after you graduate. You want to be an adult, but part of you still wishes you were a little kid who needed to be taken care of. I still feel like my house in Sherman is my home, but now it’s my parents’ home. I still feel completely dependent on my parents, but when push comes to shove, I am an adult and I am on my own. Completely on my own. It’s a scary feeling when you are pretty much thrown into it.

I am now in a stage where I just want to know what God wants me to do with my life. I know I want to teach children and help better their lives, but I don’t know where or how. I have been thinking a lot about why I am in Alaska. In all honestly, I 100% believe I am here because God wants me to be. I feel Him everywhere. You can’t look at the mountains or the ocean without seeing His greatness. Proverbs 3:5-6 pretty much sums up why I am here:

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path."

We are not in control of our lives. I ended up in Alaska because God wanted me to go FAR out on my own and live. I believe I am here to strengthen my relationship with Him. I have definitely done that. Standing on top of a mountain, listening to the silence, I was dumbfounded by how He has created this whole world, just for us. He loves us more than we can even fathom.

As I sit here listening to good music (Sara Bareilles new cd) and sipping on the best peppermint mocha ever, I am in awe of God’s greatness and perfect plan. I am so blessed to have my friends that I have in my life. Each and every time I talk to them on the phone or ichat, I realize just how great they are. I miss my friends…a lot. This past summer was perfect and I made lifelong friendships with a lot of people who are not in Alaska, which makes it hard. Thank goodness for technology. I just want to thank my friends for putting forth the effort to keep in touch and that I love each and every one of you. I’ll be back in Texas soon enough. :)

All done.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post Sarah! I needed this reminder :) Test out a white chocolate peppermint mocha (my FAVORITE drink) and let me know how your new coffee shop does it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Sarah Fallon :) and I'm so pleased to know that you are enjoying the same good music as I am in College Station ;)

    ReplyDelete