Monday, November 15, 2010

My favorite things about Alaska

I have now been in Alaska for almost exactly 3 months. I finally can get around all by myself and I am slowly become the best driver in the sleet/snow/ice. There are a lot of things that I love about this state. Don't get me wrong...I miss the HECK out of Texas, but if I had to live somewhere else, it would be here. I decided that since I've kinda been sucking at posting since I got here that it was time for another list. So here is my list of my favorite things about Alaska. This is just so you can have a little taste of my life here.

1. No sales tax
There is no tax here. When you buy something for $3.99, it actually just costs $3.99. This is amazing when buy big purchases. There are unfortunately two downfalls: 1. everything is more expensive here so really you aren't saving any money, but you definitely feel like you are 2. You collect WAY too many pennies. No one likes pennies. They are pointless.

2. The food
The food here is incredible. I have two new favorite restaurants now. My all time favorite is Bear's Tooth. I could literally eat there every day for the rest of my life and be happy (It is my second all time favorite restaurant...nothing can beat Vitina's). I get the Rosemary burger with their famous garlic-cilantro fries. I LOVE IT. Number two on the list is Moose's Tooth which has the best pizza I've had other than sitting in Rome, Italy. My favorite is the Chicken Ranch pizza. It's to die for.

3. Moose
These are some of the cutest animals I have ever seen. I have seen about 10 and I still get SUPER excited every time I see one. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a big bull moose, but hopefully I will eventually.

4. All the awesome things to do
The list of things to do in Alaska is insane. You can hike, white water raft, hunt, fish, ski, sled, snowmachine, cross country ski, snow shoe, and so much more. I have done several of those things on the list, but so far fishing has been my favorite. I caught a 20 inch rainbow trout. Hiking was also super fun. Flattop was my favorite hike I did.

5. The snow
I love the snow. When I was younger, my mom said I used to stand out in the snow in Colorado for hours. I never wanted to come in. I love watching snow fall and standing in the dead silence. The best is waking up when it has snowed all night and everything is white. You can't get that in Texas.

6. The Alaskan Aggie Club
This has been my favorite part of moving here. We are a part of an Aggie club up here and we watch all the football games together. It is so awesome getting to hang out with other Aggies. Most of my friends are from this club too. We have a BLAST watching the Aggies BTHO everyone. I sure miss A&M, but this is a pretty good alternative.

It's been so amazing so far and it's only been 3 months. I am excited to go home to Texas to see my friends and family, but living here is better than ever.


2 comments:

  1. come home already! I miss you! :) (but yeah, yeah I'm sooo happy you love it ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't be happier that you had this experience!!! Your posts and stories have made me want to visit Alaska even more...though it would be super sweet to have a successful Skype!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete