Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Shenanigans at the Splash

I am a lead lifeguard this summer at The Splash and basically as a lead, I get yelled at/complained to/chewed out by everyone. The patrons, the lifeguards, and even the other leads. It is still the best summer job you could ever have and there is always funny stuff going on. This summer has already been eventful so I thought I would highlight some of the best memories from the Splash...

1. "That's slouchy!"
A young male who had his hair done like Predator decided that is was "slouchy" of his friend to go say hi to his uncle. I was initially confused because his friend seemed to have almost perfect posture. Maggie was sitting with me and she asked the lovely young man what slouchy meant. The boy responded by yelling at Maggie and stuffing a cheese and peanut butter cracker in his mouth which resulted in a shower of cracker crumbs on Maggie...to say the least, she was disgusted, but we got a fun new word to add to our vocabulary.

2. Attack of the bees
Swarms of bees have decided that they LOVE the Splash. As much as I hate bees, they chose the right place because NO ONE AT THE SPLASH CLEANS UP AFTER THEMSELVES. The bees have a 12 course meal to enjoy by the time we close: ring pops, coke, sour punch straws, chips, m&m's, and whatever else people decide to bring to the pool that day. We have had several interactions with well over a hundred bees. Needless to say, we are all terrified of them and create a scene whenever one comes near.

3. Being chewed out by a 78 year old man
This is definitely the highlight of my summer. I had an old man yell and get in my face the other day. He refused to pay the $4 to get in because he wasn't swimming. In his words and I quote him directly, "I ain't paying that blankity blank capacity fee." Yes, he did say blankity blank. He decided to throw a HUGE fit over $4. I mean come on, its $4. It's been like this for four years. Oh wait, every single person who complains about this says we just changed it. News flash...IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT.

4. Boogie
There is a group of five brothers who come to the pool every day. They are what we lifeguards call "pool rats." My favorite pool rat is Boogie. He is 6 years old and the cutest kid you will ever talk to. The dynamics of this family are interesting. I have finally figured their family tree out, but it took talking to several of the brothers. Their names are Darrell, Devon, Cameron, Damen (Boogie), and Baby Joe.

5. Thunderstorms
Normally you would think that we work at a pool so we would hate thunderstorms, but it is quite the opposite. WE LOVE THEM. When it thunders or lightnings, we get out of the pool for at least 30 minutes. I have literally sat at work for well over 3 hours doing nothing and getting paid for it. I love it.

and finally...

6. The special people who come to The Splash
There are no words to describe the high class people that come to the Splash. I wish I had pictures, but I have yet been able to sneak any. We have anything at the pool from old couples making out to a toddler wanting to fight a preteen to parents who think their children can do no wrong. It always makes for an eventful day at the Splash. I will try and get pictures for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment