Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I'm going to live in an igloo.

Anchorage, Alaska

So I am sure you are all wondering what the title of my blog means, welp I'm here to clear the air. I am moving to Anchorage, Alaska on August 17th with my best friend Rachel Athans. She was born there and lived there until she was 16. I went to Italy with Rachel last summer and we had the time of our lives. It will be hard to beat sitting in Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy eating gelato, but I think freezing my butt off with the penguins will be great. :) We will be substitute teaching (but really just taking a year off) and we are living in an apartment with her good friend Jolene who goes to the University of Alaska at Anchorage. I plan to go salmon fishing, skiing, snow shoeing, ice fishing, hiking, and much more outdoorsy stuff. We have a super old suburban that we will be driving and by we, I mean Rachel. I am so excited to go on this adventure and I am definitely ready to get out of the heat. It's funny...every time I tell people that I am moving to Alaska I am asked/told 1 of 4 things...

1. Oh man, it's cold there.
Come on, really? You think I don't already know that. My new response is Oh my gosh, no way. I hate the cold. Is that going to be a problem? Do they honestly think I don't know it's cold in Alaska? I don't live under a rock people.

2. The ratio of guys to girls is like 10 to 1.
As much as I am excited about this, it is not the reason I am going. I am not that desperate.

3. Say hi to Sarah Palin for me!
My favorite of the three. I will most likely not run into her, but if I do, I will tell her hi from the 40 people that have wanted me to.

4. Are you going to live/teach in an igloo?
No, I am not going to be in an igloo. Anchorage is a huge city that is pretty much 7 times bigger than the city I live in now. They have electricity, running water, and streets. It isn't the 1200's.

So this explains the title of my blog. I am really pumped about moving to Alaska and hope to keep y'all updated about my adventures through this blog!

This is where I will be moving...

Jealous?

1 comment: